Radical Changes to the Ukrainian Visa System – 10th September 2011

July 2, 2011

Well I have been tempted not to post this until a better picture of how the rather radical changes to the Visa rules appears.  However, posting this now will at least allow for preparation time for what is likely to be a system that will work itself out as it goes along until there is some clarity of interpretation by those enforcing the new rules.

On 1 June 2011, the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine passed Resolution №567 on Approval of the Rules for Issuing Visas for Entrance to and Transit through the Territory of Ukraine (“The Resolution”).  The Resolution comes into force on 10 September 2011.

The Resolution changes the types of visas required for entering Ukraine, and reduces the number of visa types from 16 to 3 (i.e., transit, short- and long-term visas).  It also consolidates information that previously existed in different acts in respect of visa validity, grounds for issuing, state fees, and the issuing authorities.

According to the new rules, foreign individuals working in representative offices will be able to obtain temporary residence permits based on their long-term visas.  Moreover, dependents of holders of Ukrainian Temporary Residence Permits will be able to apply for short-term Ukrainian visas based on their marriage certificates, or any other document confirming family ties, i.e., visa invitations issued by local immigration authorities will not be required.

The above mentioned Decree revokes the visa types existing at present.  In the place of cultural, religious worker’s, business, private or other visa types the following three types are going to be implemented:

1.    Transit visa (B).
2.    Short-term visa (C).
3.    Long-term visa (D).

The short-term visa allows foreigners to stay in Ukraine no more than 90 days during 180 days from the day of their first entry.  The short-term visa may be a single-entry, double-entry or multi-entry type for a period of six months or for any other period that does not exceed five years.  However, the list of countries citizens of which may enter Ukraine without a visa for 90 days during the 180 days from the day of their first entry has not changed.

The foreigners wishing to stay in Ukraine longer than 90 days must obtain a Long-term visa that may be issued as a single entry visa for 45 days to enter Ukraine in order to get a temporary resident’s registration.

Therefore, pursuant to the above mentioned Decree of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine, a foreigner desiring to stay in Ukraine longer than 90 days seemingly must first obtain, in particular, work permit for employment in Ukraine or have an invitation from a religious organization approved by the Ministry of Culture of Ukraine, then he must get a 45-day long-term visa, and then, upon his arrival to Ukraine, receive a temporary resident’s registration during these 45 days.

It is probably foolish to expect a seamless and smooth transition despite the apparent and obvious simplification by reducing the number of Visa types from 16 down to 3.  It will be wise to wait and see how high the bar is set for the obtaining of a Long-term Visa.  Will it be the height which currently dictates the IM-1 or will it be the far lower height for the Private and Business Visa?   It is expected that more changes in respect of obtaining residence permits will be introduced in the near future, as the respective draft laws are submitted to Parliament.

Will do my very best to answer that before 10th September 2011 when these changes come into effect.  In theory this seems to be a step in the right direction.  In practice…….well we will have to wait and see!


  1. visa becomming more dificuls. you see my wife is ukrainian and we have two children. my children and I have a different citizenship than thier Mom. we reqyire visit visa to visit ukraine in, which we get every year. this year they are not giving the kids. stating that the kids are ukrainians. needs to be entered in thier moms passports. we dont and cant do that. who can solve this?

  2. Hello,
    Very Useful Information, This new rule seems to look much better then the old visa Rules to me. However i would like to confirm something.
    Here is my situation. I am here in Ukraine Since 2006 as a Student, Got married to a Ukrainian citizen last year (sep), My Student’s visa will expire soon, therefore i have to leave the country, I do plan to come back on a Long term Visa. So my query is, Will i be able to get a Long term visa on the basis of my Marriage certificate (From Central ZAGS), What kind of stress should i prepare myself for before I place an Application for Long term visa at the Ukrainian Embassy?
    I’ll Deeply appreciate any Kind recommendation or advises, Thank you.

    Best Regards…

    • Theoretically yes. In practice I don’t know. There is a forum called http://www.ExpatUA.com which is full of tales good and bad. The Visa section could be well worth a read.

  3. […] and are replaced by only 3, Transit, Short Term and Long Term. Not news to you dear readers as I did tell you months ago this was going to happen and […]

  4. […] and are replaced by only 3, Transit, Short Term and Long Term.  Not news to you dear readers as I did tell you months ago this was going to happen and […]

Leave a Reply to Out with the old and in with the new – Ukrainian Visa System changes today | OdessaTalk Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: